Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I LoVermont

It's been a busy but good few weeks! My family and I made our annual trip up north to New England for a family reunion. We spend the majority of the week in beautiful New Hampshire and Vermont. But, we do drive both ways so we get a taste of the better part of the East Coast.

On the running front, the trip was a mix of mundane treadmill runs, consisting of staring at myself in a mirror for over an hour, and some of the most invigorating runs I've been on in my life--the kind that remind your why you run. It's always hard to stay consistent and stick to the plan when traveling, so I always try to allow for a little flexibility. This is a trip I make once a year, where I get to see people I only see once a year, whereas I run almost every day. It's important to keep this in mind and not be too uppity about missing workouts. That being said, I think I only missed one run this time around and genuinely enjoyed the majority of them that I did get in. Vermont and New Hampshire both have extensive networks of dirt road that go through farms, residential areas and remote forests. These roads provided for some true rave runs. Just me and the dirt road. My biggest worry was crossing paths with a moose, which is an experience I would have welcomed. After those runs, I'm thinking of starting a dirt road campaign down south...

My mileage has settled for now in the 50-60 mile range but will take a bump in the coming weeks up into the 70s. I went for my first true long run this passed weekend a bit under the weather. I went out for 16 and some change, running loops in and around Chapel Hill/Carrboro and including as much trail as I could. I held up OK but didn't have much pep in my step by the end. I sported my new American flag running shorts in spirit of the last day of the Olympics and the Men's Marathon that took place that morning. Meb Keflezighi, American runner, took 4th and I have a hard time not considering the fact that those shorts might have had something to do with it...shout out to my cousin for hooking those up.

I'd also like to give a shout out to my partner in crime, Greg Allison, for turning the big 21 this passed week. I'm completely stoked for him to join me down south this coming Friday.

Stay tuned.

Wilbie

No comments:

Post a Comment